Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finally Travelling!

Well after months of planning I am finally here! St Helena Island & in some ways, it's been so much easier than expected!
One really feels like you're in the middle of nowhere & traveling by ship, you really understand how big this planet is....we travelled for 5 days across the ocean & did not see another soul..... And it was quite a humbling experience from that point of view :-) But Mia didn't let me dwell in the moment for too long...boy she was busy & doing it on my own was really tough because Mia would not go to anyone - so even if people wanted to help they couldn't.
Getting online was harder than I thought & the ship only had email - no internet - but in keeping with all things old school for this journey - I kept a journal of the days so I wouldn't forget anything when posting this....

Day 1: SAT, 4 DEC 2010
So, I was running around like a mad thing until the very last minute..... As always... But left and got to our friend Waldo's house just in time, who was taking us to the ship. Mia of course only fell asleep 5 minutes before we got to Waldo's house. We got to the Seafarers Mission (Where we meet the RMS staff & they take us to the boat.) with about 20 minutes to spare & this past was soooo easy! Mia carried on sleeping in the car & we literally pulled up right next the trailer & they loaded everything in - not scanning or weighing.....Info that might have been useful last night when I was frantically packing & repacking & then weighing everything to make sure I was in the prescribed limit....I'm such a nerd :-)
Anyhoo! Within 5 minute of waking up Mia & I were in the van & driving off to the ship...my excitement was finally mounting! More I couldn't do so what was done was done.... I could finally relax & enjoy this. It really was so easy....we simply walked up the gang way, & Mia had to push her baby up it in her pram....very cute!
We got on board & Mia was an absolute star through the whole process! We had to wait in line & have our passports checked at the front desk - Mia gave "her little book” to them herself... Then it was off to passport control - which the 2 immigration officers set up in the Main Lounge Alcove and Mia just stood in the line patiently...she was so sweet. Once our passports were stamped we were shown to our cabin & that was that! sooo flippen easy!
Of course Mia loved the room but we must have been there for 5 minutes when Mia said - "I wanna go look around mom” And so it started....the beginning of the 5 day run around the ship :-) Mia is busier than ever & her attention span is about 3 & 1/2 minutes so u can imagine how many things we had to do all day.... I convinced her to stick around for another 10 minutes while I made some phone calls - appreciating the last bit of time with my cell phone & in turn my independence :-) I called daddy from the OUR BIG SHIP to his LITTLE BOAT...it was great to be able to do that!
And then it was off to explore....we got as far as the playroom & Mia was in her element...nothing like somebody else’s toys :-) we returned to our cabin round 4ish & then there was an announcement made that the ship would only be departing at 21:00 as they were waiting for other passengers....:-(
My only conciliation was that we could really get settled before having to deal with the motion of the boat..... Which I was still pretty nervous about.... I didn’t know what to expect. so after a little more exploring we ended up at dinner - I chose the early sitting at 6:45pm for Mia only to learn that even this sitting was still pretty formal & Mia was not impressed.....It was a disaster, Mia really has terrible table manners - something I have started working on with her but it wasn't going to happen on that 1st night - I ended up leaving before the starters were even served & had them send some scrambled egg up to our room for Mia - which of course she ended up not eating...she has a yogurt I had packed in from her bag.... grrrr so I had a very dry, cold scrambled egg on my first night on the ship....it's safe to say I was a little disappointed at how the evening turned out....To add insult to injury - I had to run back down to the dinning saloon 10 minute later to get her water bottle & they were serving the main course - roast lamb with baby potatoes & seasonal veggies...mmmmm...... It turns out that we can bring kids down at about 5:30pm & the chef will make them something..... Lesson learnt :-)
After "Dinner" Mia was so tired after her exciting day there was no way I was getting her into this "Shower things" to try a new way of washing.... so I put on her pj's & let her watch a little TV (Our portable DVD player - was a life saver.)
We departed at 7pm in the end as the passenger we were waiting for cancelled...grrrr :-/ I was waiting for the bobbing to begin & braced myself for the nausea....but nothing. It was so gentle & I haven’t felt one bit of tingle....thank goodness!
Mia & I watched her new DVD together. (The new Tinkerbel adventure...so cute!) But my plan of her passing out 10 minutes into the movie back fired & she was still awake when it ended at 9:30pm! But once I turned down the lights a little more & insisted she close, her eyes - she was out in about 2 minutes! :-) By this time it was almost 10pm &I passed out too!

Day 2 - Sun, 5 Dec 2010
The night went really well. I woke up twice because I was convinced Mia was going to roll of the bed - but she was fine & slept through to 7:30pm. I was woken at 7am, by Ivan - our cabin steward - with my early morning coffee along with the ships daily activities & dress code.... Aaaahhh. I could get used to this :-)
When Mia woke up the 1st thing she said was "downstairs":-)  I explained that we 1st had to shower & get dressed - which she once again did not want to go near :-( So, I showered & we got dressed - Mia is really into her skirts at the moment...very cute - so she wore a skirt & then wanted her sunglasses on & wanted to carry her handbag....a real little madam ;-) Teehee.
So, all dress up we were ready for breakfast! I was really excited about this meal, since I never had dinner & because it was things Mia actually ate...eggs, toast, yogurt....But when we sat down again she was such a silly toddler again...u know - not really speaking, pulling funny faces & hiding behind my chair every time some spoke to her....and not eating again....:-( But somehow I got through my eggs & bacon & then we were off again!
Up & down the stairs, in & out of the playroom & our cabin...and then we went outside & onto the deck & she played around the pool area & the deck for at least20 minutes ;-) She was splashing around the overflow of the pool....it was good :-)
We then went back to our cabin & I lay her down & put a DVD on & she was asleep in 10 minutes :-) Aaahhh...this was getting easier & easier :-) As she sleeps for at least an hour & a half I thought I’d take the opportunity to go grab some lunch for us...so I locked the door & ran upstairs to grab a bite.... 10 minutes later when I came back to the cabin, little Binkie Bow was coming out the room...she had unlocked the door by herself....bugger. Mommy had forgotten to put a nappy on her & she wet the bed :-( So much for a peaceful hour or 2.... I managed to convince her to lie down again & watch a little more TV - just so that she still has a little quite time - but either way - that means no sleep....so I didn’t want to think what she would be like by 5pm.....
This was going to be a long afternoon ;-) and then as if Murphy though - teehee, let’s see what she can handle a little card was slipped under our cabin door - it was an invite to the captain’s cocktail party at 6pm....and both Mia & I were invited...oh my word - on the day that Mia doesn't have a midday sleep - really :-/
Sooooo...the cocktail party was ok... Mia actually greeted the captain, even though 5 minutes before hand when I told her what we had to do her words were "I don't want to meet the captain!" :-)
We got to stay for awhile 15 minutes....just around the time that mommy finally had a drink in her hand....because she wanted a milkshake! ;-) We manage to bribe her with a sparletta & a straw & she sat still for another 10 minutes.... I decided to take her back to the cabin when she started spitting into the air, because she could see it floating through the sun particles..... :-) I had 3 sips of my G&T....so much for being a grownup for 5 seconds.....
We came home & I let her watch 3 gummy bears....and then it was bath & bed. She was so tired but so stubborn. When it came to shower time the fun began.....I had to take her in kicking & screaming! I don't want to know what the neighbors were thinking! BUT once she was in & I show her that the shower nozzle can be brought down to her level & she can even hold it she was fine....ai jai jai....Mommy know best huh :-) She absolutely loved it be the end & sat there for ages spraying the wall & her baby.....I finally got her out and then it was into PJ's and bed time.
I had a whole stack of books ready for bedtime & asked Mia to just wait in bed while I go make some down the hallway in the pantry....by the time I came back with her tea, she was asleep...so sweet. Happiness....
I watched a little TV myself - on the Ipad & passed out too....The boat felt a little more 'lively' in the night but I wasn't too bad. We had to turn our watched back an hour at midnight....All in all a pretty good day :-)
Living life now
xxGxx

1 comment: